Friday, February 26, 2016

One Athlete's Awakening: Chris Marchant / @Fit_Coastie

 
 
I am Chris Marchant 25 years old and Medically Retired United States Coast Guard (2009-2015). I'm fitness/ lifestyle apparel company Violate the Dress Code's newest athlete. About 4 years ago I started working out, not expecting anything out of it just wanted a healthier more fit lifestyle. I was married and had a 1 year old son. About a year into my marriage I found out my wife was having an affair and she took my son and left me. I was really depressed and turned to Alcohol and partying for months but then I decided to turn my life more towards fitness so I stopped drinking and going out and got hooked on weight training.  
About a year after that happened while I was stationed in Baltimore MD. I was in a severe motorcycle accident that almost ended my life (June 27th 2013) After 3 weeks in shock trauma and 9 reconstructive surgeries, I walked out of the hospital with pins sticking out of my hand and wrist, along with a 2 herniated and 4 bulged discs in my lower back and no feeling in half of my right foot and no feeling in my left hand and nerve damage in my entire left leg. I left the hospital with thoughts that I'd never use my hand again, I'd never walk normal again, I'd never be who I was...I took that negative news and became even more adamant about fitness. 
When the pins were removed I slowly started pushing myself to the extreme limits and training harder than ever. A friend, who is well known throughout the industry introduced me to the owners of Versa Gripps, with the grips I could lift as much weight as I possibly could with my bad hand. Instantly due to my story the Parkers (owners of Versa Gripps) had me join their team because I was a true testament of how well the Gripps helped. I went from 175 lbs to about 240 lbs over the next 2 years and I found myself helping others that had injuries that "prevented them from working out." 
I didn't just have a pity party for myself now that I was disabled. I never had the thoughts " I can't do that" I motivated myself by thinking " how can I do this" and I got it done!  I had about 500-1000 followers on instagram and with a year of traveling around the country, talking to people, making connections and friends I was up to over 10k followers then, now over 15k. I found that social media was the way that could connect  with people that I could inspire. Those people I would have probably never met otherwise. 
As time passed. I decided that I wanted to try and compete in a NPC Physique show. I dieted for 8 weeks and took to the stage for the first time. I placed 9th out of 30 plus competitors in my class and was happy with that knowing that a year prior I didn't think lifting a single weight would be possible. After that show I was traveling to Pittsburg PA for the Pittsburg Pro to support a few IFBB Pro friends that were competing. None of them could afford to drive there so I drove them all and halfway through the trip, one IFBB PRO couldn't even make a phone call because he couldn't even afford his phone bill. 
That's where it hit me, I realized that there was more to fitness than just competing to get what, four letters (IFBB) on my instagram account.  That wasn't for me. I knew there was more in this industry. I wanted to continue what I was doing, not what everyone else was doing. I love to inspire, motivate, and help people who actually need it. I began getting noticed by companies such as, RSP Nutrition and along with previously mentioned Versa Gripps and now fitness apparel company Violate the Dress Code. They gave me opportunities not because I want a pro card, but because they saw how I impacted people and represented myself, along with how I would represent them. I love my life to help others. Whether it's just motivating through social media, talking to people and helping them through rough times, training people online, or in the gym. I have a severe desire to lift others up and encourage them to overcome whatever it is they may think limits them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment